The road is more important than the destination

I love TED. It is one of the more intellectualy stimulating sites I have ever seen and I would love to attend one of their conferences. Anyone has a couple of thousands dollars, sitting somewhere unused and idle...?

Anyway, today I was cleaning my Gmail account, which is an exercise in futility and I remembered wanting to watch this talk. Of course, I am biased due to the fact that I do love watching the Mythbusters and Adam Savage is in this talk.

And the good thing about TED is that anything in there makes you think. Adam's performance reminded me that the road may be more important than the destination. Don't you sometimes feel like "what now" when you finally achieve something? Wasn't it fun just to keep on trying or working to achieve that?

A good lesson for life. If like me you are skeptical of after-life myths, then life is the road and there is really no destination. Poor religious people who waste their lives in their kantian search for duty and virtue, not enjoying everything the world has to offer just because there will be a reward at the end... and at the end they never knew they were wrong and there was nothing...

But... listen to Adam talk. And enjoy his quest! In this case, the quest is definitely funnier and more entertaining than the goal!




1 comment:

Guatemalan Genes said...

Thanks for the tip on TED!

I do have to say as much I love reason I adore myths and legends. I think had I not been an Economist I would or should have been and Anthropologist.

I believe in Christ and Evolution and I know there is no controversy... but that is another story....

I read an article today that I thought about sharing with the chapin skeptic perhaps it could be a topic to write about :)

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1879016-2,00.html